Liz in Geneva

Monday, November 20, 2006

Ain't nothing but a Montreal thang

On Friday I went to a function at the Canadian Embassy for Canadian interns in Geneva. It was supposed to give us advice on getting a job afterwards, but I personally found it a little lacking on that front. I did, however, meet some great people from Quebec, and we partied it up Canadian style afterwards.

During the beer and pizza schmoozing (how Canadian!), I learned that Canada has 12 representatives to the UN and a whole separate mission to the WTO, with its own embassador and everything. I also learned that even though it's almost impossible to get a permananent job at the UN as a Canadian since they have a quota system & are always chock-full of Canucks, my nationality won't hurt me if I want to work with NGOs. Oh yes, and I taught some of our hosts at the Embassy that recycling is good (I mean really, I was not going to sit idly by while beer cans and wine bottles were being tossed willy-nilly into the garbage).

All in all, I think it was a very educational evening.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Way to go, Lizzie, educatin' them people! Keep up the good work, I know it's hard, but we're countin' on you..

    yo' mamma

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home